05 Jan Thank You for Supporting the Fusion Shoebox Appeal!
Members of Hull’s homeless community received Christmas wishes from across the UK.
We’d like to thank everyone who helped make the first ever Fusion Shoebox Appeal a huge success. Organised in partnership with Humbercare, the appeal invited individuals, families, businesses and organisations to donate items for Hull’s homeless community. Everything from clothing and toiletries to food and sleeping bags were welcome, plus anything else that the public thought might come in handy during the festive period.
The response was incredible, with hundreds of boxes taken to Dock House (a shelter run by Humbercare), as well as the C4DI, Hull Daily Mail offices and St Stephen’s Shopping Centre, which kindly acted as drop-off points. We also collected items from care partners across the UK in our newly branded Fusion van, driven by Marketing Director, James Ash.
So many people got involved that it’s impossible to list them all, but rest assured that every donation was greatly appreciated and made an enormous difference to someone’s life. Here are a few examples of heart-warming gifts that we received:
- Laura Parratt, Fusion Independence Manager, worked with our young people to wrap all kinds of presents. The majority of the input came from our UASC boys, who really enjoyed participating in this great cause by helping to buy the gifts and put the boxes together.
- Cath Davies is one of our care partners in the South West. Despite a recent stay in hospital, her young daughter, Poppy, was determined to do her bit and build a lovely box of prezzies.
- Our amazing friends at Brook Financial donated to the appeal and acted as a collection point in Somerset. The same goes for Woolley & Parks Estate Agents, who raised over £100 at the Beverley Festival of Christmas.
- Year 7 pupils at Sirius Academy in Hull sent us dozens of handmade Christmas cards to pass on to service users, whilst their Sixth Form students created a video that shares messages of hope.
- The project also inspired members of the Fusion team around the country to tap into local events and support their homeless communities.
What’s more, some people decided to get creative and make boxes to suit certain needs. For example, we received a few that were child-specific, which were distributed to Humbercare service users that have young families. Plus there were even some boxes donated by dog owners for homeless people who have a pooch to keep them company.
We knew that our care partners, friends and followers would get involved, but we were truly astonished by just how much effort you all put in. The Fusion van was like a big green sleigh, full to the brim with presents and cards for those who may otherwise have received nothing at all. Your kindness and generosity transformed Christmas 2017 for hundreds of homeless people of all ages, and we couldn’t be more grateful for your support.
Now that 2018 is in full flow, stay tuned for all kinds of exciting news and events. In the meantime, if you’d like to have a chat about fostering, give us a call on 03301 239355 or fill in our contact form. Whether it’s an expression of interest, advice on a particular topic or just a quick question, we’re always happy to help.